I hadn’t either, until now!
Chicken Shawarma is a middle eastern dish of chicken, cucumber yogurt served in a pita topped with tomatoes; usually found in the kebab shop after last orders. However, it is incredibly easy to make at home in your slow cooker and you can be a lot more confident about the contents.
- 500g boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into strips
- Juice of one lemon
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 1 tsp mild curry powder
- couple of pinches of Cayenne Pepper
- 1 clove of garlic
- Pita Bread
- Half a cucumber – diced
- 200g Greek Yogurt
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker.
- In a separate jug, whisk together the lemon, oil, curry powder, pepper, garlic and season with salt.
- Pour over the meat in the slow cooker, mix well, ensuring the chicken is coated. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- To make the dressing simply mix the cucumber into the Greek yogurt.
- When you are ready to serve, heat the pitas. I do this in the toaster and then split them down the side. Fill with meat, you may want to use a slotted spoon, top with yogurt and some sliced tomatoes.
- Perfect summer dish!
What do you reckon? If you like the look of this recipe or have tried it do pop back and RATE IT via the comments section below.